It’s not all about sorting lights and darks.
- It is essential that you separate muddy or extremely dirty clothes from less dirty pieces of clothing.
- Separate heavy fabrics such as jeans or denim from more delicate clothing.
- Wash different sets of sheets separately to keep them from entangling with each other.
Do not overuse your dryer.
- If time is a luxury you have, air dry instead of using the dryer. It conserves energy and it is actually better to air dry certain pieces of clothing such as delicate items.
- Hang fabrics immediately after drying them. Make sure to not over dry them.
- Whatever you do, do not overload the tumble dryer.
Do not scrub stains.
- Scrubbing a stain relentlessly to make it disappear is a myth! You could end up with a bigger stain if you do this.
- The best way to treat a stain is to dab it gently from the outside and work your way in. You should also treat it as early as possible.
Distinguish between washable clothes and dry cleaning!
- If items have a dry clean label, you should strongly consider using professional dry cleaners for those clothes.
- Items such as suede, leather, blazers and suits should be exclusively dry cleaned rather than washed.