NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In celebration of National Laundry Day, Lifestyle Expert Cheryl Nelson with Prepare with Cher, shares her top laundry hacks to help people transform a once tedious chore into a relaxing experience. After all, a well-kept home feels nice to live in, but freshly washed sheets feel even better.
“While household chores might often appear taxing, think of laundry as a therapeutic and calming activity to relieve stress.” says Cheryl. “While there are plenty of activities that might offer a bit more jazz, think of laundry as a time to sit back, unwind, and fold a few towels accompanied with calming scents.”
Below, Cheryl shares ten hacks that can improve their overall laundry routine:
- Invest in the area. The first step in making the laundry room a safe yet fun space is decorating the area to reflect your own style and personality! Try adding an area rug to spice up the scenery and play your favorite music in the background to make the activity more enjoyable.
- Sort garments into appropriate piles. To prevent dye transferring and clothes shrinking, sort all dirty clothes by color, fabric type, or soil content. Assess what’s in your laundry hamper and decide which method makes the most sense. Seville makes a stylish 2-section wicker basket with a divider that makes sorting easier!
- Check the water temp. Water temperature is not a one-size-fits all factor, and clothing labels play an important role in identifying this. A general rule of thumb is to use hot water for white cottons, and cold water for bright colors and delicate garments.
- Check for colorfastness. Test if your garment will retain color while it’s being washed or pre-treated by applying a distilled dose of detergent on a hidden area like the inside seam. If the color stays the same after it’s rinsed with water, it’s safe to wash with that specific item.
- Pretreat stains. Fresh stains are easier to remove than old ones, so act fast and pre-treat stains by making a paste with 6 tablespoons of baking soda and 1/3 cup of warm water. Rub the paste into the stain, and then throw it in the wash.
- Deodorize any smells to boost the cleaning power. Say goodbye to smelly towels, stinky socks, musty sweaters, pet odor, and wet dog smells! The Fresh Burst scent of Arm & Hammer Odor Blasters liquid detergent removes rather than masks tough odors. To achieve the maximum level of freshness in laundry, use liquid detergent and scent boosters together or add 1/2 cup of baking soda to detergent, then another 1/2 cup in the rinse cycle.
- Skip the dryer when you can. Not only is a drying rack an energy-saving solution, but it’s also great for drying delicate garments. If you do not have a dedicated space for laundry, Amazon Basics makes a nice rack for small spaces because it opens vertically and takes up less space.
- If you do decide to use the dryer, dry with care. Make sure that any pre-treated stains have improved before putting clothes into the dryer, since heat can set stains permanently. Don’t overload the dryer since clothes need to tumble freely to dry efficiently and help prevent wrinkles. You can also toss in a dryer sheet to soften clothes, reduce static cling and lint, and smell fresh.
- Pick a detergent that works with your skin type. Those who suffer from skin sensitivities should not use the same detergent as others, so be sure to look for a detergent that is hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, like Arm & Hammer Sensitive Skin, Free & Clear. This can help reduce the likelihood of an adverse reaction to eczema, psoriasis, and seasonal itchiness.
- Freshen clothes while on-the-go. If you’re packing up your dirty gym clothes or luggage for a destination trip, try to use something like ANYl16 Air Purifying Bags to remove unpleasant odors while you’re moving from one place to the next.
“Let laundry be an escape that allows you to zone out from a hectic, busy environment. Try out these laundry hacks for your next laundry day and see if you notice a difference in your mood,” adds Cheryl.